Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cornmeal Pancakes

This morning I woke up to the glorious darkness that is 3am, famished. What came to mind almost immediately was pancakes. But not just any old pancakes, corn meal pancakes. I immediately got up, showered, and began my quest.

I started with Ruhlman's basic ratio for pancake batter from his book 'Ratio' (2 flour:2 liquid:1 egg:.5 fat) and replaced some flour with polenta and added some maple sugar. I pretty much went by the recipe in the book and ended up with the batter below.

corn meal pancake batter

The result was a nice fluffy cake-like pancake, but with a rougher cornbread like texture.

corn meal pancakes with maple syrup

It satisfied my hunger and was so easy to make that I wondered why I didn't make it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment