Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Simplicity

The more I cook and eat, especially the eating part, the more I realize how the most simple things are always great. You don't even have to have the best of ingredients (but it always helps), simple meals are great because they are simple. There's nothing to complicate them. We have enough complications in our daily lives, no need to go about exacerbating the situation.

Most of my life is built around simple meals. A quick salad (greens, olive oil, sherry or balsamic vinegar, pepper). Some salumi (salty), cheese (stinky), and bread (stale). Or a quick pasta with minimal work.

Linguine with cheese and peas

This specific pasta was just some linguine I had lying around, cooked al dente, tossed in olive oil with some frozen peas, with grated/shaved cheese. I was lucky enough to have some nice smoked gouda lying around to go along with the Parmesan, a staple in my fridge.

It was refreshingly light for what could easily become a heavy dish. Extremely comforting on a nice spring day. And took however long cooking dry pasta takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment