Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Spotted Pig

314 W. 11th Street, New York

The Spotted Pig is one of those places in NYC that I've been meaning to visit for a long time and last night I finally decided to go, bringing along 2 coworkers of mine.
The SP is one of those places that comes with a lot of hype, especially with its list of high profile investors and I was hoping it would not disappoint.

I started off with the Chicken Liver Toast, which was delightful. The pate had a nice creamy texture with a very gentle liver taste. It defiantly wasn't one of those 'in your face' liver pates. I was even comfortable enough offering it to a coworker, who actually enjoyed it. It was what any good appetizer should do, provide some foreplay to the main event.

Everyone talks about how good the burger is at Spotted Pig and if I learned anything from my visit to Interim, it is to start with what the restaurant is known for.

Chargrilled Burger with Roquefort Cheese & Shoestrings

I had my burger medium rare, which I'm happy to say came to me at a perfect medium rare. The beef was tender and flavorful. The Roquefort cheese was the perfect complement as did the toasted brioche bun that held its own, with all the juices of the beef patty.

The shoestring fries, with rosemary and garlic chips, were the perfect side. Unlike their heftier cousins, they didn't fill you up. They didn't steal the show, no matter how you wanted them to. The consummate wingman.

April Bloomfield and Ken Friedman have done a great job putting together the loungey gastropub. Hopefully I'll have a chance to go back again and try other items on the menu and visit their other child, The John Dory.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, they certainly did not skimp on the fries! You really can't beat a good burger and fries.
    Sara/Imafoodblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crazy thing is that I had eaten quite a bit of them before this picture! You sort of have to since they pretty much cover the burger.

    ReplyDelete