Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cooking the 'French Laundry Cookbook' part 2

A continuation of this previous post.

What's a vday dinner without desert. Since the meal I had prepared was pretty heavy, I was looking for something light and fresh to finish. Thomas Keller's recipe for a Lemon Sabayon Tart with Honeyed Marscapone Cream fit the bill. Too bad the gf isn't a big fan of tarts. I should have known better. On to the tart!

First of all, I burnt it. The pinenut crust was burnt. the top of the saboyon was burnt. You can see the burn crust in the picture. I scraped off an entire layer of burnt sabayon. I tried to eat it, but the crust was burnt all over. I do have to say the sabayon was very nice without the crust.

Lemon Sabayon Tart

Of course with more crust dough in the fridge, I had to attempt it again later in the week.

My problem this time was that the lemons weren't as fresh.

Lemon Sabayon Tart

This time I didn't burn it. But my lemons were not as fresh. I do love this desert though. I think next time I'll have to make it in individual portions. That way I can easily give some away since you end up with a lot of dough with the recipe. Then again this might turn into a party desert only.

1 comment:

  1. A good story

    GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

    Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

    From a hectic life in New York City to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

    “Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

    I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

    I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete